A brief history of the Rose Hill Elementary school.
Rose Hill Elementary School's property, (approximately 9 acres), is bordered by 80th and 128th Avenue N.E. and was originally owned by the Snow family who leased it to a Japanese family (dates unknown).
The Japanese family turned the property into a truck farm that grew apples, cherries and strawberries. The land, at that time, was very hilly with a small house where the existing green house presently sits on N.E. 80th.
In 1928, the Snow's returned to the property to live and rebuilt the small house into the green house that still exists today. In 1945 Douglas Benson bought the property from the Snow's, but not the house. He sold the land to the school district to build a school in 1949.
School construction began in 1953 and took one year to complete. Rose Hill Elementary opened in the fall of 1954, Mr. Kenneth Johnston was the principal and the enrollment was 390 students.
Ground breaking for the present new Rose Hill Elementary school began in May 2005. During the 2005-06 school year students and staff watched excitedly as the new building grew. Construction of the new building was completed August 2006 and the school was ready to welcome students and staff on September 5, 2006.
|Rose Hill Elementary Principals|
Today, Rose Hill Elementary has over 355 students in grades kindergarten through fifth grade. Our student population represents a rich diversity of ethnicities, cultures, languages and backgrounds.